Blog and News
The weather has meant that it’s not feeling like Spring just yet, but we’ve still got our fingers crossed that warmer climes are around the corner. Either way, it’s that time of year when many of us start thinking about the Big Spring Clean so we’ve teamed up with our brand ambassador Queen of Clean to share some expert advice on how to begin. Armed with a bit of motivation and some ACE products, your house will be spick and span in no time.
What you’ll need
Before you get started, ensure you have everything you’ll want to clean and tidy your home. Queen of Clean’s essentials are:
- A duster or microfiber cloth to pick up cobwebs and dust
- A broom to sweep hard floors
- Sponges to wet-clean surfaces
- Stiff-bristled brushes to scrub difficult areas such as taps and between tiles
- Paper towels or dry cloths for wiping away excess dirt, drying and buffing
- A face mask if you are sensitive to dust
- A vacuum cleaner to clean the carpets, stairs and lampshades
- A mop and bucket for washing hard floors
- A multi-use cleaning spray – ACE Multi-Purpose and ACE Power Mousse are fantastic generic cleaners that can be used in the bathroom, the kitchen and on other surfaces around the home
- Carpet cleaner – ACE can also be used for upholstery cleaning!
- Specialised cleaners for any wood or silver
- Heavy duty rubbish bags to sort what you’re getting rid of
- Plastic tubs for organising cupboards
Follow a plan
We’ve been there – you empty out all the cupboards, get half way through sorting it out and before you know it you’ve made a huge mess that will take hours to organise, clean and put back when you need to leave the house in half an hour. Queen of Clean recommends that you set aside some time in your diary for Spring cleaning, with nothing else planned on those days so you can really go for it.
Write down a list of what you want to achieve, room by room and stick to it in small chunks. If you’re not sure where to start, Queen of Clean has also created a Spring Cleaning Checklist to help you to keep on track and cover all bases. Cleaning the light fittings and hoovering behind furniture might not be on your weekly roster, but they need doing every so often.
Ready to get going? One last thing – create a fun playlist with your favourite music, as it’s a great way to stay motivated and make tedious obligations like cleaning fun! Another option is to download some podcasts to listen to as you go along – comedies, thrillers and loads more are available on the Apple podcast app, Spotify and more.
To get that big sense of freedom and relief when you’re finished, don’t just clean – clear. Those clothes your children have grown out of, and that ornament that you don’t even like? Get rid! Label rubbish bags and make piles of what you can sell on eBay or Depop, donate to a charity shop, recycle or take to the skip.
Household clutter can be a big problem for many people because it can build up so quickly, so take the chance to be ruthless. There’s only so much stuff you can hang on to ‘just in case’, so if you don’t regularly use it, don’t like it and it isn’t sentimental, find it a better home.
For the things you are keeping, are they stored in the right way? Just because you’ve always kept something in a certain room or cupboard doesn’t mean it’s the best place. Categorise your things and consider moving them around – you might have kept DVDs in a neat pile next to the TV when you only had five, but now you have 150 it’s a bit out of control! If you’re feeling a little overwhelmed, Queen of Clean also has this great guide to help you declutter.
Go for it
Got your cleaning caddy full, a motivational playlist and a plan? Go for it and try to enjoy it – the satisfaction of knowing everything is deep-cleaned and tidy will be worth it.
Thanks so much to the ACE Queen of Clean for her help with this blog! You can read her full review of ACE products here.